What Is Marsy’s Law?
Marsy’s Law “seeks to give crime victims meaningful and enforceable constitutional rights equal to the rights of the accused.” The law was “named after Marsalee (Marsy) Ann Nicholas, who was stalked and killed by her ex-boyfriend in 1983.”
Marsy’s Law in Florida
In Florida, the legislation gives “specific rights to victims of crimes, including the right to “prevent the disclosure of information or records that could be used to locate or harass the victim or the victim’s family.”
Marsy’s Law protects victims and their families by explicitly granting rights, including:
- Being treated with respect, dignity, and fairness
- Proceedings without unreasonable delay
- Having reasonable protection from the accused person throughout the justice process
- Given notice of the release, escape or death of the accused person if the accused is in custody or under supervision at the time of their death
- Given timely information about the result of the case
Caughey Law, PLLC proudly enforces Marsy’s Law while representing clients. Our attorney Bryan Caughey is knowledgeable about the legal system and can advocate for victims to ensure they are respected and work for them to be heard throughout proceedings.
Having your rights violated as a victim of a crime can be overwhelmingly stressful and, in some cases, traumatizing. Here at Caughey Law, PLLC, we understand how frightening the legal process can be and want to ensure that you feel protected during this vulnerable time.
Our firm will do our best to make sure your interests are represented, no matter the situation. We take the security of our clients seriously and strive to protect them during this stressful period.
As a member of the Citrus County Bar Association, we are keenly aware of the legal issues that affect our community. We stay informed and provide representation to those who need it most. Our team is proud to ensure that Marsy's Law is upheld throughout your court proceedings.
Our commitment to protect our clients' rights is strong, and we are dedicated to providing them with the best service possible. Through our efforts and experience, we are fighting for justice and ensuring our client's voices are heard.
- Our firm offers personalized attention to each client
- We prioritize communication and ensure that the lawyer you meet at intake is the lawyer that handles your case
- We stay updated on legal issues and how they affect the community
- Our firm offers flexible payment plans
Call (352) 645-2215 to learn more about how we can help.
Free Initial Consultations
Personalized Attention to Every Case
Over 10 Years of Legal Experience